Tuesday 25 September 2012

Ein schöner Nachmittag in Trier

Today's post is about the lovely afternoon Katie and I spent in Trier yesterday, it was in fact so lovely it gets a post all to itself!

So yesterday Katie and I were invited to the house of the amazing couple we met on the train between Köln and Trier nearly 3 weeks ago. To read about them again click here. They'd told us to give them a ring and arrange a visit but it took us a while to work up the courage to do so, and when I eventually did, with Katie supporting me at my side, I pretty much forgot all my German apart from "bitte schön, danke schön" (please, thank you). Anyway they got back from an event in Heidelberg and rang us, inviting us round at 4pm the following Thursday.

That was yesterday, and from there followed a really good experience. There really is something to be said of saying YES to all invitations (within reason) on your year abroad, as it can mean you meet all sorts of people from your adopted country, not just people your own age.

Anyway, they picked us up and drove us to their lovely house in the outskirts of Trier. Upon arrival they fed us home made plum cake and that marble cake they love so much whos name I missed. They also gave us endless cups of tea and then whipped out the sherry, amazing.

The couple have had such an interesting life, having travelled a lot and studied and lived in all different regions in Germany, so they had a lot to tell us about their travels. But they also had endless questions about our lives and families etc which was very flattering!

Next we moved to the sofas, where we were served Moselwein (local wine from the region) and given an interesting explanation about the wine growing region we live in. Next appeared Mosel grapes themselves, and more nibbles. Resolving to not bother eating dinner when I got home, I tucked in, as did Katie. There we spoke for a couple of hours about all sorts of things: Africa, politics, the NPD specifically, Egypt, the German school system. Basically stuff that stretches Katie and I's German but we coped.

Then, just as we thought they were going to announce it was time to go home, they infact announced it was time for dinner! We couldn't believe how hospitable they were being! Also I wasn't sure I could eat anything more but politeness stopped me from mentioning that part. We had lamb (another awkward point as I'm not a massive meat eater myself and couldn't remember the last time I ate lamb) which was surprisingly nice and rosemary bread and (because I was starting to feel worringly tipsy from all the wine) sprüdel.

(Ok so this blog post is starting to sound like my mum's diary from when she was about 8, which consisted of "Today was ok. We had (insert list of food here for breakfast lunch and dinner) every day as far as I could tell when I read it. )

Around 9 they took us to the car (or pretty much rolled us by this point) and drove us home, but not before giving us a book written by the husband on Kenya! So sweet! He signed it and everything, picture below (sorry its on its side):

Anyway, last night may not have been my wildest night on my year abroad so far, but it was still one of the nicest. I reccommend that everyone who reads this on their year abroad befriends any nice old couples that they happen to meet, you never know how much you can learn from them about the country you're living in.

PS. I had an interesting weekend. Blog post to come soon when I find time.

No comments:

Post a Comment