Sunday 23 September 2012

Random things I've learnt in Germany

Bit of an interlude, but whilst accumulating the miles and miles (sorry, kilometres) of walking I've made a mental list of interesting stuff I've learnt in the last 3 weeks. Most are related to Germany, some not.

Therefore here are a few random thoughts:

1) I know its a stereotype, but Germany really is so efficient! After 3 weeks in Germany I finally had a train be 5 minutes late. For me, it was actually a relief to know the whole country is well, human. That there isn't some sort of secret über efficient clockwork system that the whole country runs on to which I am not party. I felt content. Much to my amusement, the people surrounding me muttered German swearwords and discussed amongst each other how standards were slipping in the country. I suppressed giggles.

2) People are friendly! Well, in general. Friendlier than Britain anyway. Interestingly, the response I get to when I speak English is markedly different to when I speak German. In general when I speak German they're friendlier (once overcoming initial mild surprise).

3) A depressing amount of German teenagers think that Wales is a city in England.

4) On  the subject, German teenagers aren't particularly interested in learning about Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, in fact they seem downright confused why they are at all.

5) As a result of 3 of the Saarland crew coming from the Emerald Isle I saw Gaelic Football for the first time today, it was good! Can't deny that most of the rules went over my head but it was entertaining to watch, to be sure.

6) In general I've learnt a lot about Ireland and Canada lately. This is a result of hanging out with the other Trier and Zoolander assistants, and its been pretty interesting to say the least.

7) Germany runs an hour ahead of Britain. No, I'm not stating the obvious here vis a vis GMT and stuff, I mean that for some (probably easily justifiable) reason the whole country just gets going one hour earlier than Britain. So it appears to be standard to be up at 6, and at work by 8, as opposed to 9 in Britain. This is tricky for me, as even for a morning person like me I'd forgotten what 9am felt like during the holidays, but I'm coping. Just. I'm not going to lie to you my dear readers, life is hard.
I think Germany as a country should just decide to get up an hour later. It's only fair. Then again, maybe that's the reason Germany's financial situation is that much better than Britains? Maybe that hour gained between 6 and 7 is the key to maintaining a healthier country bank balance. If so, I suggest Britain in fact follows Germany's example. In fact, David Cameron, if you're reading this, get on it.

8) Alcohol is so cheap in Germany! I mean, I was aware of this before but wow it is crazy cheap. You don't see so much binge drinking though compared to Britain, however I was surprised how many people smoke in Germany, and how widely advertised it is.

That concludes this random chapter of observations. I had more but I am sooo tired (as always) so I'll have to leave you literally on the edge of your seat until I remember the rest of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment