Friday 31 August 2012

2 days to go!!

So this will be my last post before I go, I imagine. I am so excited! At 8.30 am I leave my sleepy village in rural Wales (sheep, or rather cow, heaven) to head to Heathrow and so on to Cologne. Luckily there are a few other assistants on the same flight and heading to the same training so we have arranged to meet in Departures and have booked seats next to each other on the plane.

I've said all my goodbyes now, but though they were of course tinged with sadness it was lovely to see how enthusiastic all my friends were on my behalf. The German "Beerfest" leaving do was hilarious, nearly everyone turned up in a Lederhosen or Dirndl! Happy days, see the picture below. By comparison I'd made little effort myself, simply draping myself in my big GerSoc flag.



I love my friends so much, they are hilarious and I'm so lucky to have them, not many friends would go to so much effort (the guy in the middle's Lederhosen are actually hand made! Also note the ones made from duct tape at the back xD)

A special mention to Abs, Abbie and Kate, whom I've known since primary school:



From left to right: me, Kate, Abbie, Abs.

Kate made me an amazing cake as well, which my friends then demolished as the Lidl Beer took hold so I had to rescue the last part for my parents to try.



So anyway, sad as it was to leave them for a year, I know (cheesy as it sounds) I've got nice people to come back to :)

Then it was time to turn myself to the arduous task of packing. I hate packing with a passion I only contribute otherwise to my hatred of speeding, mud-free 4x4s in the lanes and nail files (don't ask).
My main concern I have to admit was whether I could fit my dalmatian onesie in my suitcase, which is my most cherished item of clothing (see below to admire it in all its adorable glory)



I had my doubts as to whether my onesie would be accepted in German society (I don't want my future flatmates to think I'm a bit special should I wear it around the flat like I did in my student house) but egged on by facebook friends, including several assistants and a German friend who reassured me it would be a positive contribution to my eccentric Brit status and that we Brits would bring a onesie revolution to Germany, I found room for it. Best. Decision. Ever.

Anyway, all packed with 3 kilos on my baggage allowance to spare, hurrah! That's still 20 kilos though, which means that with the shoulder injury I mysteriously acquired in June I won't be able to actually carry it for more than a few seconds at a time but hey ho, life is there for its trials.

Tomorrow brings a lie in, a final lunch with the parents and some last minute things. Should probably track down my passport as well!  And recharge my ipod. Right now I'm copying some DVDs onto my hard drive incase I get a bit bored; I highly doubt I will be fully occupied every evening for 10 months.

So, just 36 (ish) hours to go. BRING ON DEUTSCHLAND!!!

:) xxx

2 comments:

  1. Hi There

    I've just started following your blog because I'm considering being an English Language Assistant in Germany too, I can't wait to hear all about your adventure and I love Cologne it's a great city. Good luck

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joanna, thanks for following! Let me know if you need any help deciding and enjoy the blog (I'll try and keep it interesting)

    ReplyDelete