Tuesday 14 August 2012

Interlude

Not much to report apart from growing panic I won't have somewhere to live in 2 weeks and 5 days time, but I've come across this list for other (undoubtedly more interesting) YA blogs for your perusal, on the Third Year Abroad website.

http://www.thirdyearabroad.com/home/item/1284.html

But I realise I haven't really spoken about how I feel about moving abroad. Long story short: I cannot wait. I love Germany, adore speaking German and have yet to meet a German I didn't like (except for the one guy who used to follow me home from GerSoc events last year but we won't go into that here). Anyway, I had a difficult 2nd year what with one thing and another and a difficult summer so now I just can't wait to go and start a new period of my life away from former stresses and be properly independent.

I'll be sad to go a long time without seeing family and friends but I'm hardly indispensable and in terms of my friends I imagine we'll all go off to different corners of the world once we graduate anyway. Plus there's always skype and good old fashioned letters, so all in all I still feel quite positive. It'll be a massive adventure. I realise that things may not go perfectly (they never do) but hey at least when things go wrong you can learn from them.

I suspect my YA will confirm what I already am pretty sure about: that I want to live and work in a German-speaking country once I graduate, but it'll be interesting to see if this turns out to be true or not.

There's the small matter of dissertation but at least I get to choose what I write it on; I've chosen to study the use and status of the local dialect within the school, should be interesting.

Anyway, I feel very lucky really that I've got this opportunity of a lifetime to bugger off to another country for a year, not everyone has that luxury of pretty much disappearing into an exciting new life when you're feeling in limbo at home, so I will try and make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment